Followers

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Toronto Spa Series - The Old Mill Inn and Spa



The Old Mill Inn - Winter Scene



Front View with Waterfall


If you mention The Old Mill Inn and Spa to most Torontonians, probably the first thing that will come to mind is weddings.  The history of the building and the beautiful setting make it a romantic site for weddings and gatherings of all kinds.  The Inn is located on the shore of the Humber River, which was a meeting place and portage route for Native Canadians.  The current building is built on the site of the original mill which dates back to the late 1700's, when it functioned as an actual lumber mill.


View of the Humber River

After a series of fires the Old Mill was rebuilt and the The Old Mill and Spa today combines a luxury hotel, restaurants, banquet rooms, a wedding chapel, terrace and gardens, and a modern fully equipped spa facility.



What is particularly special about The Spa at the Old Mill is the beautiful tranquil setting and the old world ambiance.  It is just a short subway ride away from the city centre in the west side of Toronto.  When you arrive at the Spa you feel like you could be at an inn in a tiny European hamlet from another century.  

During the crazy rush of pre-Christmas preparations, I decided to take some time out and have a massage at The Spa.  The luxury and pampering begin the minute you step through the door.  Everything about The Spa exudes charm, from the friendly staff that greet you when you enter, the beautiful antique decor, to the delightful "Quiet Room" where you can sit and unwind before your treatment.  I was shown into a bright modern change room which was equipped with modern lockers,operated by convenient safety codes, so no need to fumble with locks or keys.  After slipping into a wonderfully soft plushy robe and slippers, I waited for my treatment in the Quiet Room and sipped on a cup of tea served in a beautiful china cup and saucer and nibbled on bite-size chocolate biscotti.  There was a wide selection of teas to choose from, along with lemon water and cucumber water and fruit.  The relaxation had begun!!

 


Quiet Room


My massage therapist came to greet me, on time to the minute, and ushered me into a lovely room furnished in an antique style that seemed more like a small sitting room than a clinical massage room, with beautiful antique wallpaper and even a fireplace.  Before starting, she took the time to ask me questions about the type of work I did, if I had any particular muscular stiffness and what areas I would like her to concentrate on.  My right shoulder and arm were very sore from too much time spent on the computer and overuse of my mouse, and so she concentrated on that area, getting out every kink and ache that had been bothering me.    



After the massage ended, I finished off my treatment with a short sauna in the small sauna located in the change room, followed by a refreshing shower that was fitted with an overhead "rainforest" shower and dual body jets, a hydrotherapy massage bonus. The room was well stocked with towels, shower and shampoo products and a hair dryer. 
 


The Spa offers a wide range of body treatments, hot stone massage, customized facials, aromatherapy, reflexology  and reiki and manicure and pedicures.  Although it is a luxury setting, the prices are affordable and even having a small treatment would make a great break.

I can highly recommend The Spa at the Old Mill.  Just taking a couple of hours for time out in such a special setting was like having a mini getaway and did a lot to relax and renew my energy at a busy time of the year.

For anyone planning a trip to Toronto I would encourage you to book time into your holiday to visit this beautiful historic site, enjoy lunch or high tea and enjoy some first-class pampering at The Spa at The Old Mill.

 
Winter Scene at The Old Mill Inn and Spa

1 comment:

  1. You really had a great and fun experience! I hope I could do as much as what you have experienced.
    Anyway, Keep posting! You've given us great ideas..
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete